link to updated and complete list with public access
- Arceneaux, K., Dunaway, J.L., Johnson, P.M., and Vander Wielen, R.J. "Strategic Candidate Entry and Congressional Elections in the Era of Fox News." American Journal of Political Science, In-press.
- Padgett, J., Dunaway, J.L., and Darr, J.P. (2019). "As Seen on TV? How Gatekeeping Makes the U.S. House Seem More Extreme." Journal of Communication, Volume 69, Issue 6, In-press.
- Dunaway, J.L. and Stuart, S.N. (2019). "Smartphone-size screens constrain cognitive access to news content." Information, Communication, and Society, https://doi.org/10.1080/1369118X.2019.1631367.
- Darr, J. P., Hitt, M., and Dunaway, J.L. (2018) “Newspaper Closures Polarize Voting Behavior.” Journal of Communication, https://doi.org/10.1093/joc/jqy051
- Dunaway, Johanna L., Kathleen Searles, Mingxiao Sui* and Newly Paul.* (2018). “News Attention in a Mobile Era.” Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 23(2):107-124.
- Arceneaux, Kevin (Vin), Johanna L. Dunaway, and Stuart N. Soroka. (2018). “Elites are people, too: The effects of threat sensitivity on policymakers' spending priorities.” PLOS ONE, http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0193781
- Sui, Mingxiao,* Newly Paul,* Paru Shah, Brook Spurlock,* Brooksie Chastant,* and Johanna Dunaway. (2018). “The role of minority journalists, candidates and audiences in shaping race-related campaign news coverage.” Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, 95(4): 1079-1102, https://doi.org/10.1177/1077699018762078
- Darr, Joshua P. and Johanna L. Dunaway. 2017. "Resurgent Mass Partisanship Revisited: The Role of
Media Choice in Clarifying Elite Ideology." American Politics Research. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1532673X17735042
- Sui, Mingxiao,* Johanna Dunaway, David Sobek, Andrew Abad,* Lauren Goodman,* and Paromita
Saha.* 2017. “U.S. News Coverage of Global Terrorist Incidents.” Mass Communication & Society. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15205436.2017.1350716
- Potter, Joshua D. and Dunaway, Johanna. L. 2017. “Voters' Perceptions of Party Platforms: The Role of
Changing Information Contexts.” Social Science Quarterly, 98: 804–817. DOI: http://doi:10.1111/ssqu.12436
- Turcotte, Jason,* Kirzinger, Ashley,* Dunaway, Johanna, and Robert K. Goidel. 2017. “Influences on
News Coverage of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill.” Social Science Quarterly, 98: 993–1009.
- Davis, Nicholas T.* and Johanna L. Dunaway. 2016. “Party Polarization, Media Choice, and
Mass Partisan-Ideological Sorting." Public Opinion Quarterly DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/poq/nfw002.
- Potter, Joshua, and Johanna Dunaway. 2015. “Reinforcing or Breaking Party Systems? Internet Communication Technologies and Party Competition in Comparative Context.” Political Communication. DOI: 10.1080/10584609.2015.1069767
- Dunaway, J. L., Davis, N. T.*, Padgett, J.* and Scholl, R. M. 2015. “Objectivity and Information Bias in Campaign News.” Journal of Communication.” DOI: 10.1111/jcom.12172
- Dunaway, Johanna, and Regina G. Lawrence. 2015. “What Predicts the Game Frame? Media Ownership, Electoral Context, and Campaign News.” Political Communication, 32:1, 43-60, DOI: 10.1080/10584609.2014.880975
- Wilkinson, Betina,* James Garand, and Johanna Dunaway. 2015. “Skin Tone and Individuals’ Perceptions of Commonality and Competition with Other Racial and Ethnic Groups.” Race and Social Problems, DOI: 10.1007/s12552-015-9151-8
- Turcotte, Jason,* Kirzinger, Ashley,* Dunaway, Johanna, and Robert K. Goidel. “Influences on News Coverage of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill.” In-press, Social Science Quarterly.
- Dunaway, Johanna, Regina G. Lawrence, Melody Rose, and Chris Weber. 2013. “Traits versus Issues: News Coverage of Female Candidates for Senatorial and Gubernatorial Office.” Political Research Quarterly 66: 715-726. (Download PDF)
- Dunaway, Johanna and Robert M. Stein. 2013. “Early Voting and Campaign News Coverage.” Political Communication, 30:2, 278-296. (Download PDF)
- Dunaway, Johanna. 2013. “Media Ownership and Story Tone in Campaign News Coverage.” American Politics Research 41: 24-53. DOI: 10.1177/1532673X12454564. (Download PDF)
- Weber, Christopher R., Johanna Dunaway, and Tyler Johnson. 2012."It’s all in the Name: Source Cue Ambiguity and the Persuasive Appeal of Campaign Ads.” Political Behavior 34(3):561-584. DOI 10.1007/s11109-011-9172-y. (Download PDF)
- Dunaway, Johanna, Kirby Goidel, Ashley Kirzinger, and Betina Wilkinson. 2011. “Rebuilding or Intruding? News Media Coverage and Public Opinion on Immigration in Louisiana.” Social Science Quarterly 92(4): 917-937. DOI: 10.1111/j.1540-6237.2011.00797.x. (Download PDF)
- Dunaway, Johanna. 2011. “Institutional Influences on the Quality of Campaign News Coverage.” Journalism Studies 12(1):27-44. (Download PDF)
- Johnson, Tyler, Johanna Dunaway, and Christopher Weber. 2011. “Consider the Source: Variations in the Effects of Negative Campaign Information.” Journal of Integrated Social Sciences, 2(1): 98-127.
- Dunaway, Johanna, Regina Branton, and Marisa Abrajano. 2010. “Agenda Setting, Public Opinion and the Issue of Immigration Reform.” Social Science Quarterly 91(2):359-378. (Download PDF)
- Branton, Regina P., and Johanna Dunaway. 2009. “Spatial Proximity to the US-Mexico Border and Local News Coverage of Immigration Issues.” Political Research Quarterly 62(2):289-302. (Download PDF)
- Branton, Regina P., and Johanna Dunaway. 2009. “Slanted Newspaper Coverage of Immigration: The Importance of Economics and Geography.” Policy Studies Journal 37(2): 257-27. (Download PDF)
- Dunaway, Johanna. 2008. "Markets, Ownership, and the Quality of Campaign News Coverage." Journal of Politics 70(4):1193-1202. (Download PDF)
- Branton, Regina P., and Johanna Dunaway. 2008. “English and Spanish Language Newspaper Coverage of Immigration: A Comparative Analysis.” Social Science Quarterly 89(4): 1006-1022. (Download PDF)
- Branton, Regina P., Gavin Dillingham, Johanna Dunaway, and Beth Miller. 2007. “Anglo Voting on Nativist Ballot Initiatives: the Partisan Impact of Spatial Proximity to the Border of Mexico.” Social Science Quarterly 88(3):882-897. (Download PDF)